Communications Specialist – Knowledge Translation and Exchange (345678)
(Job Posting ID: 345678)
Memory Keepers-Medical Discovery Team (MK-MDT), UMN Medical School, Duluth Campus has the mission of promoting health equity across all rural and Indigenous populations across the state. The MK-MDT is focused on the health of older adults and specifically, on issues associated with dementia and diabetes. We assume a syndemic approach to illness and disease and promote strength-based community-based approaches to research. The MK-MDT works collaboratively with Faculty Investigators from the Department of Family Medicine and Biobehavioral Health, UMN Twin Cities, and academic and community research partners throughout the Great Lakes Region, Canada, Alaska, and internationally. Reporting to the Associate Director, The Knowledge Translation and Exchange (KTE) Specialist will be responsible for supporting academic, Indigenous and rural community partners and the public to understand the relevance and application of MK-MDT research perspectives, projects, and findings.
The successful candidate will be responsible for academic dissemination and developing novel methods to facilitate the complex exchange of information and knowledge between Indigenous and rural community leadership, health practitioners, policy makers and researchers who are working together to analyze and utilize health data.
Key Responsibilities Include…
- Provide expertise to support the planning and development of knowledge translation and exchange activities and strategies
- Develop and manage communication strategies with academic and community partners
- Share with MK-MDT faculty and staff an up-to-date understanding of KTE literature
- Prepare reports, infographics, newsletters, blogs and other relevant communications for public audiences
- Assist with academic articles and manuscripts
- Monitor and manage social media, maintain and update website, manage newsfeeds and social media/Twitter feeds.
- Support the development of MK-MDT funding applications, academic publications, and outreach initiatives as appropriate
- Actively seek feedback to improve approaches and communications products using methods such as key informant interviews, pilot testing, and focus group discussions
- Seek ways to respectfully integrate Indigenous knowledge, ways of knowing, stories, and lived experience, within and alongside communications tools such as infographics and other data visualization materials
- BA/BS degree in communications, journalism, marketing, art or related field plus 2 years professional experience, or 6 years combined equivalent education and experience
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to effectively communicate to diverse academic and community audiences
- Ability to travel, occasionally overnight, within Minnesota
- MA, MSc or other graduate degree in communications, Health Science, Public Health, or Social Sciences (Experienced candidates with a Bachelor’s degree will be considered).
- Minimum of 3 years of experience
- Expertise in data communication software such as data visualization, publishing, and/or graphic design software
- Experience with the production of audio and video storytelling
- Understanding or interest in issues of Health Equity and the health of older adults
- Knowledge of history, geography and politics of Minnesota rural and Indigenous communities.
- Academic publications
About the Department
The mission of the University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth campus is to be a national leader in improving healthcare access and outcomes in rural Minnesota and American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
We do this by:
- Educating medical students dedicated to serving rural Minnesota and American Indian/Alaska Native communities
- Fostering excellence in research
- Emphasizing the training of physicians in Family Medicine
- Creating strong partnerships locally, regionally, nationally and internationally
- Working in innovative, interdisciplinary and inter-professional teams
The University of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
- Low cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts
- Excellent retirement plans with employer match
- Disability and employer paid life insurance
- Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75%-100% of eligible tuition
- Student loan forgiveness opportunity
- Opportunities for growth and promotion
- Employee Assistance Program
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to either attest that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or agree to comply with the University’s testing requirement. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
About the U of M
University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD)
The University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD) consistently ranks among the top Midwestern, regional universities in U.S. News and World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges” issue.
Overlooking Lake Superior, UMD provides an alternative to both large research and small liberal arts environments and attracts students looking for a personalized learning experience on a medium-sized campus of a major university. A firm liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs, as well as professional and graduate students that draw on UMD’s many research institutes and labs.
Please search using the Job ID or Job Title