Rural Community Engagement Specialist 8208R3
(Job Posting ID: 334178)
Memory Keepers-Medical Discovery Team (MK-MDT), UMN Medical School, Duluth Campus has the broad mission of promoting health equity across all rural and Indigenous populations across the state. The MK-MDT is focused on the health of older adults and specifically, on issues associated with dementia and diabetes. We assume a syndemic approach to illness and disease and promote strength-based community-based approaches to research. The MK-MDT works collaboratively with Faculty Investigators from the Department of Family Medicine and Biobehavioral Health, and academic and community research partners throughout the Great Lakes Region, Canada, Alaska, and internationally. Reporting to the Director, Rural Health Initiatives, the Rural Community Engagement Specialist will be responsible for community outreach and engagement with rural community leadership, health organizations, physicians, allied health practitioners, to develop and sustain research partnerships and assist MK-MDT in the development and implementation of multiple health research and health education projects focused on aging, dementia and/or diabetes in rural communities.
The Rural Community Engagement Specialist works with investigators within a Community-based participatory research framework to develop and maintain respectful research relationships with rural community and organizational partners.
- BA/BS plus at least 4-years of experience or a combination of related education and work experience to equal eight years.
- Ability to travel, occasionally, overnight, throughout rural Minnesota.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Masters in Public Health, Health or Social Sciences.
- Knowledge of rural Minnesota communities and health systems, health equity and community-based research.
- Experience in community outreach and community engagement.
- Ability to write for diverse audiences.
- Experience with knowledge translation and exchange.
- Training and experience in health research ethics.
Community Engagement (90%)
In collaboration with MK-MDT researchers:
- Conduct outreach to rural communities, health organizations and research partners
- Plan and coordinate community engagement activities to support research collaborations with community partners
- Coordinate and facilitate research meetings with Advisory Councils and community partner organizations
- Prepare briefing notes, meeting materials, background reports, community and academic presentations, and other meeting materials
- Serve on committees as requested representing the MK-Medical Discovery Team.
- Communicate up-to-date developments and information on current health issues, services and policy developments in Minnesota with the MK-MDT investigators and staff
- Conduct on-going community engagement activities to support research collaborations with community partners
- Visit communities with researchers and independently, to discuss projects, community research needs, and to gauge interest in community-academic research partnerships and collaborations.
- Provide support to community-based research staff
Research and data (10%)
- Prepare community profiles, identify potential key consultants, communicate research plans and, where applicable, research results to community partners.
- Prepare and obtain letters of support for research applications.
- Facilitate community level research participant recruitment strategies and communicate protocols for research ethics and patient/participant consent to organizational partners
- Assist in the recruitment of community-based staff and serve as a liaison between community-based staff and the Duluth-based investigators.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please go to: https://humanresources.umn.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section. This position will remain open until filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).