Post-Doctoral Associate — Knowledge Translation & Exchange (344315)
(Job Posting ID: 344315)
The Memory Keepers Medical Discovery Team – Health Equity (MK-MDT), the University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth campus, is focused on research concerning aging, cognitive health, and dementia in rural and Indigenous communities. Our modern facilities have been thoughtfully constructed to foster team science approaches to research and well-being. The MK-MDT faculty investigators work collaboratively with academic and community research partners throughout the Great Lakes Region, Alaska, and internationally. We are seeking applicants with an interest in leading knowledge translation and exchange activities to support Team Science and Community Engagement at Memory Keepers.
The post-doctoral associate will be responsible for academic dissemination and developing novel methods to facilitate the complex exchange of information and knowledge between Indigenous and rural community leadership, health practitioners, policy makers and researchers who are working together to analyze and utilize health data. They will have the opportunity to conduct research aligned with the goals of the Memory Keepers Medical Discovery Team – Health Equity and will also be expected to support MK-MDT faculty programs of research by assisting with grant writing, research design, data collection, data analysis and dissemination. Candidates with interests in health equity, health literacy, science communication, capacity building, knowledge translation, community-based participatory research, health education and training related to brain health and/or dementia are encouraged to apply.
- Plan seminars, webinars, meeting and events that support academic knowledge translation and exchange related to healthy brain aging and dementia in Indigenous and rural populations.
- Organizing meetings and conferences
- Plan events and dissemination strategies with community partners that facilitate knowledge exchange to rural and Indigenous populations.
- Support the MK-MDT commitment to Team Science by organizing and hosting internal events such as lunch and learns, journal clubs, and incubators.
- Work closely with the Knowledge Translation and Exchange staff position to assist in the creation of fact sheets, blogs, infographics, newsletters and reports for public audiences.
- Prepare briefing notes, background reports, presentations, and other meeting materials
- Research ways to respectfully integrate Indigenous knowledge, ways of knowing, stories, and lived experience, within and alongside communications tools such as presentations, infographics and other data visualization materials.
- Actively seek feedback to improve approaches and communications products using methods such as key informant interviews, pilot testing, and focus group discussions
- Contribute to existing programs of research
- Support grant applications
- Review and synthesize research literature, conduct systematic and critical reviews
- Community engagement
- Data collection
- Data analysis
- Prepare conference presentations
- Preparing and submitting manuscripts
- Other duties as assigned
Time Commitment: 100% – 1.0 FTE
Number of Positions: 1
Please include cover letter and CV.
- Ph.D. in any of Health Sciences, Public Health, Communications, Social Sciences, Psychology, or Indigenous Health
- Experience in science communication
- Ability to effectively communicate to diverse academic and community audiences
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience using Zoom and Webinar platforms
- Experience with qualitative, quantitative, and/or mixed methods research methods
- Experience related to research projects with Indigenous and/or rural communities.
- Knowledge and awareness of Indigenous and rural health and Indigenous health research ethics.
- Ability to travel
About the Department
Based at the Medical School’s Duluth Campus, the Memory Keepers Medical Discovery Team on Rural and American Indian Health Equity (MK-MDT) is one of four University of Minnesota Medical School Medical Discovery Team’s funded by the State of Minnesota legislature. The Memory Keepers Medical Discovery Team is a $15.6 million, ten-year initiative to achieve the state’s goals of improving patient and population health, lowering costs and improving healthcare experiences.
Located in downtown Duluth, the Medical Discovery Team resides in a newly renovated team science workspace that encompasses multiple research offices and meeting spaces for faculty and staff.
The mission of the University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth campus is to be a national leader in improving healthcare access and outcomes in rural Minnesota and American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
We do this by:
- Educating medical students dedicated to serving rural Minnesota and American Indian/Alaska Native communities
- Fostering excellence in research
- Emphasizing the training of physicians in Family Medicine
- Creating strong partnerships locally, regionally, nationally and internationally
- Working in innovative, interdisciplinary and inter-professional teams
The University of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
- Low cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts
- Excellent retirement plans with employer match
- Disability and employer paid life insurance
- Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75%-100% of eligible tuition
- Student loan forgiveness opportunity
- Opportunities for growth and promotion
- Employee Assistance Program
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section.
This position will remain open until filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to either attest that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or agree to comply with the University’s testing requirement. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
About the U of M
University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD)
The University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD) consistently ranks among the top Midwestern, regional universities in U.S. News and World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges” issue.
Overlooking Lake Superior, UMD provides an alternative to both large research and small liberal arts environments and attracts students looking for a personalized learning experience on a medium-sized campus of a major university. A firm liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs, as well as professional and graduate students that draw on UMD’s many research institutes and labs.
Please search using the Job ID or Job Title